Windows Mobile Device Center

Windows Mobile Device Center

Posted by Kurtis Webb on Oct 16, 2017 3:06 pm

Apparently the newest version of Windows 10 doesn't support Mobile Device Center. This is what I use to download my Trimble Controller. Anyone have a work-around to this?

Re: Windows Mobile Device Center

Posted by GARRY BUNK_6 on Oct 18, 2017 11:31 am

Yep!  See this link and download "WMDC Helper".  Take note of the following "Powershell Commands":

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RapiMgr /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WcesComm /v SvcHostSplitDisable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

The following is a guide copied from my internal company memo and edited for your use:

If you see you can’t connect to a Windows Mobile Device please perform the following:
  1. Run the file “WMDC-Helper.exe” as an Administrator.  This file will run very quickly and prompt for a reboot (DO NOT REBOOT YET).
  2. Open the file “PowerShell Registry Commands.txt”.
  3. Launch Windows Powershell as an Administrator.  Easiest way to do is click the Start Menu button and type “Powershell”.  You should see “Powershell.exe”.  Right-click it, choose “Run As Administrator” and enter an Administrator password if prompted (or find an Administrator to do so). 
  4. Once the Powershell windows is open, go to the "Powershell Commands" (listed up above in beginning of post), select, copy, and paste the two lines of registry edits into Powershell SEPARATELY, hitting enter after each one.
  5. Exit Powershell and reboot your PC   
*If the Windows Mobile Device still does not connect to your PC, you may have to change a setting in Windows Mobile.On the device, perform the following:
  1.  Unplug the USB cable connected to the PC.  Exit any open software to return to the Windows Mobile Desktop. 
  2. Goto “Start” and choose “Settings”, choose the “Connections” tab at the bottom of the next window, and then double-tap “USB to PC”.
  3. You should see a checkbox next to "Enable Advanced Network Capability".  If it is checked, uncheck it; if it is unchecked, check it (i.e. change it from what it was set to).  Close all windows and reconnect your USB cable to the PC. 
END OF GUIDE

Note that I don't believe any of our units required those last 3 steps.  And this "fix" has lasted for months now after numerous reboots of PC's and Windows updates.  It appears to be a one-time fix.

-Garry

Re: Windows Mobile Device Center

Posted by Kurtis Webb on Nov 1, 2017 5:14 pm

Got it! Thanks!