Need old Photograph

Need old Photograph

Posted by David Huff on Oct 16, 2010 5:55 pm

I have a Xerox copy of a photograph flown Nov. 3rd, 1941 and also stamped "CDV-2A-17". This is of an area that is in Francis Marion National Forest, Charleston County, S.C. It could be Soil Conservation or Forest Service. Help needed. Thanks

Re: Need old Photograph

Posted by Peter Lothian, PLS-MA, ME on Oct 17, 2010 8:57 am

You can download historic USGS images in medium resolution (free), or order high resolution (for a fee).  You can search online, and see if the photo you have matches one of theirs.

http://eros.usgs.gov/#/Find_Data/Products_and_Data_Available/Single_Frame_Records

Re: Need old Photograph

Posted by David Huff on Oct 17, 2010 10:23 pm

Thank you Peter there is a lot of information to go through here but it is a start. The photo I search for is the earliest that I know of that shows where the decendents of the origional "Freedmen" who bought this land in the 1870s during South Carolina's "reconstruction". They had their homes and farms here. Today it is a National Forest and as such all buildings were destroyed when the Forest service purchsed it between 1934 and 1944. The land and the ancestors go back to the early 1700s and the "highland" rice plantations that were then clear but now have returned to the state that existed before the first slave was brought here from the mother colony of Barbados. Forgive me for the history lesson and again thank you.