RPLS_Forums

GPS help

GPS help

Posted by ward kelsey on Aug 6, 2010 11:18 am

I am preparing a proposal for a 50 acre survey in Wilson County, Texas. My office is about 100 miles away. I have talked to a local surveyor in the area and we think the only practical way to do the boundary is with GPS in that the lines are heavily wooded and the corners appear to be in relatively clear areas. Once the boundary is established, we can locate the improvements with conventional methods. There is a 3400 square foot house and some outbuildings. Part of it appears to be in a flood zone. Google Earth does not have it positioned correctly and therefore is no help. the sides are 792+/- E/W and 2747+/- N/S. is there someone in the San Antonio area that can give me a price for the GPS work.

Kelsey & Kelsey Surveying Services
Ward Kelsey, RPLS
kandk@gvtc.com
oldtex

Re: GPS help

Posted by Pin Cushion on Aug 6, 2010 12:15 pm

So what do you need help with???

It sounds to me like you need to break out the ole bush ax motor and run a loop with a total station.
Fifty acre is not that big.... they surveyed the whole damn county with a chain, hurry up

Posted by Northern Surveyor on Aug 6, 2010 12:32 pm

You might take the opportunity and lease some GPS equipment and go do it yourself. 

Needing to subcontract GPS work because you can't do it has to be limiting for your business capabilities.   There is no time like the now....

But I am sure there are some in your area that would like to get a piece of your action.  Setup a relationship with one if you need, I am thinking some face to face would work better than a post here, but heck maybe not!

Posted by Tony Garmon on Aug 6, 2010 3:01 pm

After you use GPS to locate the corners, I hope that you don't disregard finding evidence along the property line. I love GPS, but when it comes to boundary location, you can't beat a good ol traverse. Good luck, it sounds like a nice job.
Sort: