travelling cases/ backpacks for laserscanners

travelling cases/ backpacks for laserscanners

Posted by aaronpawlak aaronpawlak on Feb 21, 2018 4:44 am

Hi,

I am wondering how other laserscanner users travel, by flight , ship etc. with their equipment. The peli-cases that come allong with the delivered scanners ( leica c10 and Faro focus 3D) are good, but are they reliable with baggage handling personal at airports?

The Faro is easy to carry as carry-on baggage, but the case is heavy and ill-purposed for faraway travelling purposes. The C10 is quite the bit larger, and not allowed on-board the cabins on international flights.

I've looked at Lowepros camera bags, but am not sure of their protection. And Pelipro have new backpacks, but they are more purposed for the protection of laptops rather than camera equipment.

So, how do most users travel overseas with their equipment?

Any idea?

Please help.
Thanks!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References
http://community.pobonline.com
Creative video studio

Re: travelling cases/ backpacks for laserscanners

Posted by Gary Nellis on Feb 21, 2018 7:07 am

I have never traveled internationallu, but I have gone 2/3 of the way across the country a few times needing to take our P40 on a few trips and also our entire Trimble/SPAR setup. We alsways use the pelican cases. I don't even bother locking them because you are guaranteed the checkers are going to look in them and the case are so bulky, the crappy TSA locks usually pop off anyway.

The only issue I would expect you to encounter would be due the lithium-ion batteries. Sometimes it's not an issue, sometimes it is!

Re: travelling cases/ backpacks for laserscanners

Posted by Perry Trunick on Feb 21, 2018 2:02 pm

For batteries, I recommend checking in advance.  Most of the advisories to passengers are for common consumer devices such as laptops and cellphones.  The rules on transportation of hazardous materials are contained in part 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR).  There are exhaustive details on what can fly and how it must be packaged, labelled, and declared/documented.  A bulky protective case may raise questions with more than the TSA personnel.  Airline personnel, if they're doing their job properly, should be asking pointed questions about the contents of the case.  If they are unsure about whether the battery or batteries should be allowed or whether they should be packaged differently, they may delay your bag check or refuse it altogether.  Manufacturers may also have information about flying with their equipment.  If they've already addressed the issue with their case, and FAA has acknowledged their compliance, you may be better off using the case that came with your equipment - at least as far as the battery storage issue is concerned.

Here's the FAA information on batteries.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf