RPLS_Forums

TDS FORESIGHT AND SURVEY LINK AND WINDOWS 7

TDS FORESIGHT AND SURVEY LINK AND WINDOWS 7

Posted by FREMONT on Feb 17, 2011 7:32 pm

I own a small survey company that provides service in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.
I have used TDS software since 1999. I would like to know if anyone is running TDS on windows
7 (64 bit) and how. I've talked to Trimble, who bought TDS and they told me that I only needed a
new USB hardware lock, that was December 14, 2010, I've talked with them since and was told
by Trible Customer Support that they would let me know of the status of my hardware lock.
No word, and it's Feb 16, 2011. A new computer, 0.04 of dust, And no help from Trimble.
I hope Trimble reads these, because I'm tempted to call to a polititian just to get a little less BS.

Discombogulated in Illinois. (is that a word) 

Re: TDS FORESIGHT AND SURVEY LINK AND WINDOWS 7

Posted by T. Wilson on Feb 18, 2011 10:34 am

Check around, the TDS USB lock has been discussed recently and I believe the user had pretty good luck getting a new lock through Trimble. Having said that I don't know if Win 7 was in the mix, maybe they need new drivers to recognize the lock.

T.W.

From "Another Location" - Past discussion 12/30/10

OK, links I have to Trimble, these will download the latest versions of each program.

ftp://ftp.trimble.com/pub/from_support/tds_surveylink_755/SurveyLink755.exe

ftp://ftp.trimble.com/pub/from_support/tds_foresight_225/ForeSight.exe

Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Global Services Division
Phone: 1-888-409-2904
Fax:1-937-233-2188
Repair_Services@trimble.com

The source of the information is Trimble.

I know the USB locks are available because we just recieved four of them at a school I teach at. We turned in the old parallel locks for the USB locks which work fine. I know I had to pay for my lock but that was years ago when TDS was still in business.

T.W.

Posted by JD Juelson on Feb 18, 2011 6:40 pm

TDS told me to forget it, they won't support the technology, that if I wanted to continue using such antiquated stuff, to find another computer with XP on it.  Buddy of mine found an application (for the life of me, I can't remember, get back to you) that allowed me to use my existing dongle on my W-7 laptop.  I'll get back to ya................................Sentinel Systems Driver, from Rainbow Industries.

-JD-

Posted by T. Wilson on Feb 19, 2011 9:16 am

JD:

WOW, what a bunch of cretins! You pay money for their software and use it in good faith and now it is just "TS". I guess that tells you somthing about the company.

T.W.

Posted by FREMONT on Feb 22, 2011 9:51 pm

JD Juelson:
TDS told me to forget it, they won't support the technology, that if I wanted to continue using such antiquated stuff, to find another computer with XP on it.  Buddy of mine found an application (for the life of me, I can't remember, get back to you) that allowed me to use my existing dongle on my W-7 laptop.  I'll get back to ya................................Sentinel Systems Driver, from Rainbow Industries.

-JD-
JD
Thanks for the info. I heard somewhere else that a driver may be my solution. Although this is antiquated stuff, it's paid for and has been flawless for
12 years. It's hard to fix something that's not broken. I have the original 25 pin (RS232) lock on my XP system, are you using an updated USB lock and can you let me know what driver you downloaded for W-7, I noticed many different ones. Also, my computer guy told me that Microsoft will no longer be supporting XP within the next couple of years. What that means, I don't know, but sounds like we will be told once again what we have to use. Advanced Technology, seems I could live without it.

Thanks, Steve at Fremont  

Posted by Howard Leggatt on Mar 17, 2011 5:11 pm

I successfully installed 2.2.5 using the link provided in this forum. If you have a rainbow USB key:
in control panel, remove any sentinel software

be sure the usb key is removed from your computer
 go to www.safenet-inc.com
navigate through support and downloads to get to Sentinel drivers
<click here for latest sentinel driver>
run the software, allowing it to modify your W7 computer
close everything
install the usb key
Windows will find your installed software and your key should work.

Posted by Newtons_Apple on Mar 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Also, if you have Win 7 Pro, you can download windows xp mode - a very useful virtualization tool to solve the pesky xp problem.  

Start here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx  and follow the instructions.

Posted by Manofmayo on Apr 11, 2011 12:01 am

I have found a possible solution.   Instead of searching Trimble for the solution, check out the new software for the hardware lock.   I have used the software called Sentinel Protection installer.   Once installed, Survey Link runs file in Windows 7, no more XP mode required.   Hope this helps!

http://www.safenet-inc.com/support-downloads/sentinel-drivers/

Posted by Marv Davis on Apr 11, 2011 4:49 pm

To revive a slightly aged topic,,,,,,,

I have Surveylink operating perfectly in Win7 Professional (64bit and not HOME version as I hear there is a difference)
I also have Forsite DXM working fine  in win7,, BUT,, am having issues installing the geodeic files (was on theoriginal disk, but I am running the last release (3.4.0) downloaded fom the TDS / Trimble site. It did not includethe routein "install geodetic files'
If anyone has any insite on geting the geodetic files loaded, I'd be happy to share how to get both programs running.

Will not put it out here on the open forum so e-mail me @ marv@mhdsurvy.com

Posted by Marv Davis on May 5, 2011 8:47 pm

To add one more tidbit, There is a glitch when using TDS DXM on a  Win7 Professional operating ststem (thank you microsoft!!!) . Our beloved TDS DXM  and Forsight does not know there is a 'compatability mode' for 32bit programs and Win7 that stores the program in a folder not addressed by DXM.

To try and simplfy......
Win7 Pro has "PROGRAM FILES" for 64bit applications  and "PROGRAM FILES(x86)" for 32bit applications like DXM. The Forsight program doesn't know about this ... (x86) folder and only looks in PROGRAM FILES directories.  To load geoid 09 in DXM you MUST CREATE this folder in:

C:program files/ common files/ trimble/ geodata

Then copy your geoid files  from the (x86) to the new folder. ( ALSO any you create using the DXM tools menu such as adding geoid 09) AND / OR any that are in your c:program files(x86) / commonfiles/trimble/geodata

If you try to load a file that uses a Geoid that is not in that dirrectory,, the program will error,  strip the geoid out of the job and say it's not recognized. Once you do this it all appears to work PERFECT.

And as far as dongle issues....

To keep DXM dongle locks running in a 64bit enviornment,  Robert at  SAFEKEY International has the answer. A GREAt guy to work with  BTW. He won't crack anything you are not licensed for, but will write a 64bit software to emmulate your hardware lock and grant use of your program WITHIN YOUIR LICENSE in a 64bit O.S. Pretty cool stuff.
you can reach him at sales@safe-key.com

Posted by cdallen on May 20, 2011 11:35 am

Marv
Thanks for giving the solution to the Geodetic files. I had almost given up on Foresight after using it for 6 years due to that single issue. I've been looking for the answer for several months and just working around it. I had copied the "geodata" folder to about 5 different directories hoping to find the right one on my 64 bit machine. The solution was fast and it seems to work flawlessly! Thanks!

Posted by MarCo on Aug 24, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks Manofmayo, your tip solved my problem for Survey Link and Leica SkiPro dongles!
Sort: