Sales Tax on Surveys

Sales Tax on Surveys

Posted by Jay Tee on Feb 27, 2014 12:25 pm

I have a client that refused to pay sales tax on a Boundary Survey, he stated "Professional Services are not taxable in the State of Texas" Then he stated that I would have to show him the Tax rule that allows me to tax him. Any Thoughts? 

Re: Sales Tax on Surveys

Posted by Paul Montero on Feb 27, 2014 1:07 pm

There is no sales tax in Massachusetts for professional services. You would have to show me the rule too.

Posted by MLB on Feb 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Yeah- post the section of  the tax code in Texas that requires sales tax on survey products.
MLB

Posted by AverageJoe on Feb 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Surveying falls under taxation of real property services per Texas' Comptroller Rule # 94-157.

Posted by AverageJoe on Feb 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Calif. legislation has been floated fairly recently which proposed to create taxes on some of the services falling under the Dept. of Consumer Affairs.  However, it has not been a successful attempt to date.

Posted by MLB on Feb 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Joe - why do you suppose Jay Tee did not show his client Texas' Comptroller Rule # 94-157?

The attempt to apply sales tax to surveys in CA has been floated several times. It gets defeated because it would open the door to all kinds of other "services". This is about the only place Surveyors are "like doctors and lawyers". Guess which one always stops the tax measure.
MLB