Wages / Salaries

Wages / Salaries

Posted by KCSinger on Jul 17, 2015 12:46 pm

I was going through emails today and, as usual, there were a few about job opportunities. I'm not interested in any land surveying opprotunties. But, as it's been a long time since I've been on the land side, I took a look at two of the advertisements.

Each advertisement was for a Party Chief. The low end for each opportunity was stated as $13/hr. The high end for one was $23/hr the other was $20/hr.

I was nearly speechless. I made $13/hr 25 years ago. Accounting for inflation, those hourly rates ought to be $23.74, $41.99, and $36.52, respectively.

Who are the people going into the profession? Moreover, why? Just curious.

Kev

Re: Wages / Salaries

Posted by NomeSurveyor on Jul 23, 2015 1:58 pm

I can only say that you often get what you pay for. I START my assistants at $20 p/hr leaving lots of "room" for advancement.
I suppose "Brand-X" needs to underpay their staff so that they can undercut the competition. Not how I do business.

Posted by Bob Hines on Aug 4, 2015 8:07 pm

1. yesyes

Posted by Tommy Young on Apr 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Too many people are content to survey out of their garage and make $40,000 a year.  This creates a lot of downward salary pressure.

Posted by Mike North on Dec 9, 2016 5:52 pm

We're in Chattanooga, TN where the cost of living here is low and we can work year-round since extreme weather is seldom an issue. I have 10 employees. My lowest paid employee is paid $16/hr and my highest is $21.00. We pay 100% of accidental death insurance, long term disability and several other of the AFLAC type benefits. We match IRA up to 3% and pay 33% of health insurance INCLUDING children and spouse. Our annual bonuses per employee range from 1% to 3% depending on the employee's performance plus a $300 Christmas bonus regardless of salary or performance. Everyone gets one week paid vacation their first year and two weeks after that.

On top of this, I am a damned good guy to work for. I don't nit-pick my men to death or harass them over time spent on a job. As long as I get the data I need and the final product is accurate and thorough I don't care how they set up a traverse or whether they decide the best tack is robotic and GPS or GPS and total station, or even good old rod and auto-level. My crews are experienced and well trained and I can either be a surveyor or a micro-manager.

If one of my guys calls in sick (or just tired) I'm fine with it. I was where they are for 21 straight years and I get it. And since not a one of them abuses that privelege I have no problem whatsoever rearranging our schedule or telling a client I'm shorthanded for the day.

I've worked for asses, and quite frankly, I don't want to be an ass. If that's what it takes to make money, I'll get a job collecting shopping carts from the lot at the local Costco and pushing them back to the store.

All of that said to say this: Wages and benefits matter a whole lot, but there is also something to be said the value of a good working environment where everyone feels like they are part of the team and their work and input is valuable.

You can't put a dollar figure on that.

Posted by Scott Miller_5 on Dec 12, 2016 8:14 am

Mike North, amen to that! Your company sounds like a great place to work. I am certain that your clients would agree, and are more than willing to adjust to schedule changes since your staff is competent and your product output is quality.