How many States are you Registered in?

How many States are you Registered in?

Posted by Pin Cushion on Jul 26, 2010 1:48 pm

How many States are you Registered in? and what was your most difficult and least difficult  state surveying exam?

I am registered in six states. The easiest was by far Alabama... the most difficult was Georgia.

Re: How many States are you Registered in?

Posted by Northern Surveyor on Jul 26, 2010 3:11 pm

The one state that I want to work and live in.  

Never been big on license chasing.  Must be a handful to keep up with all of the fees and CEU requirements for six states.

Posted by Pin Cushion on Jul 26, 2010 3:15 pm

It is really not a problem at all.

Posted by ron berry on Jul 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Two..........Florida and Kentucky.....Florida being the hardest dang test I ever took.....section breakdown, etc....

Posted by Don Poole on Jul 26, 2010 3:31 pm

four, west vA was the easiet with automatic reciporcity with TN back in 1983, TN was the hardestm being the first, Kentucky and MA were local law exams and not that hard.  I have let my southern states lapse though since it's to hot down there!!!!   and just work in MA now..back to my roots...

Don Poole PLS
Outermost Land Survey, Inc.

"Outstanding in the field"

Posted by Sicilian Cowboy on Jul 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Four.

NY, NJ, CT, FL.

Florida was the hardest, and most comprehensive at getting to test what a Surveyor and Mapper needs to know.

I did not pass any of the tests the first time around, so I guess, for me, they were ALL hard.

(Actually, ME was the hardest. After taking the Thursday portion of the FL test, I flew up to Boston and drove to Gardiner ME for the ME portion....I failed. But I had a great first taste of the year lobster roll in Ogunquit on the drive up.......)
AJF

Posted by Thomas Judge on Jul 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Two, Idaho and Utah. None of the tests were particualarly hard.

The Utah application nearly killed me. They were going through changes when I was applying. It took three iterations of experience and reference forms before I got it in without overlapping requirement and/or form changes. My last submittal was 9/10. The package made it off the plane 15 minutes before everything got locked down.

Going for Nevada next, then Oregon. I'll be done after that if nothing forces me to move. These are the States we get requests from, and those I would be comfortable surveying in.

Tom

Posted by Doug Cruse on Jul 26, 2010 4:47 pm

Seven – AL, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN, & VA

MS was the easiest and VA was the hardest so far. I base my ranking on the amount of material covered with the time given on the exam. Of course, if you are unfamiliar with hydrology GA, NC, and TN are going to be very tough. Looking to take Florida next me thinks. I guess I am a glutton for punishment. Seriously, the only reason I am doing all this is because the company I work for is an aerial / geospatial firm and we have a need to be licensed regionally.

Heck, the tests are nothing compared to all the continued education…

Doug

Posted by MLB on Jul 26, 2010 5:03 pm

None, but I am licensed in three, AZ, CA and CO. Couple of others not continued. I always thought the application process was more complicated than the exams.
MLB

Posted by rag4069 on Jul 26, 2010 5:51 pm

Two - Texas and California, with Texas being the hardest for me. In 1982, it was a 2 day, 16 hour exam.

Posted by wayne griffin on Jul 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Three.   MI first, then AZ so I could move here. 

Then got the crazy notion of CA to appease a couple "good" clients.  Figured since this old dog was going to jump through hoops again, may as well go for NV to make me a 'tri-state' guy.  NV was a breeze.

CA was a big notta.  I had over 60 hrs just in completing the rediculous 20 page application, only to not pass the test ('09).  Didn't pass in '10 either, and now the clients are long gone.  ....and so is my interest in ever taking that crazy CA PLS exam again....

Posted by Jimmy W. on Jul 27, 2010 12:26 am

I'm licensed in a commonwealth.

Posted by MIchael Ray on Aug 12, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm licensed in three.  Kansas was the hardest of the three.  Not so much technically demanding but it was a very busy exam; time management was critical.

Posted by Tommy Young on Aug 26, 2010 9:31 am

Tennessee, Illinois, Kentucky, Alabama, Florida and Louisiana, in that order.  I failed Florida the first time, it was incredibly tough.  You had to calculate lot corners, write descriptions and label plats.  The second time I took it, they changed it to a 100 multiple choice test.  It was definitely one of the easier ones the second time.  I'd have to say that Kentucky was the easiest and the hardest (not counting the Florida test that doesn't exist anymore) was Illinois and Louisiana.

One interesting thing.  In Alabama, if you don't know who John Coffee is, don't waste your time taking it.  They really believe in knowing the history down there.  At the same time, there weren't any questions remotely related to history in Florida.  Not even a question asking the name of the principle meridians.

Posted by Jimmy Cleveland on Aug 26, 2010 10:08 am

Three, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi. Tennessee was the hardest, because it was the first. Two day, 16 hours. Arkansas and Mississippi were both local law exams, about two hours each. Mississippi was tough, though.
Jimmy L. Cleveland, RLS, PLS
Turning Point Land Surveys | Professional Land Surveyor

Posted by Jered McGrath PLS on Aug 30, 2010 9:49 pm

Oregon and Washington, and Oregon was by far harder than washington, but probably only due to amount of material covered and test styles. Washington was multiple choice and Oregon was hand written essay style questions. Passed them both on the first time though.

Posted by Mason B. Nixon on Aug 31, 2010 2:34 pm

SIX. Always, the application form, gathering transcripts, proof of license from other states was the worst part.
After the first one, gathering more licenses increases my opportunities for employment and serving regional clients.

Posted by Mark Mayer on Aug 31, 2010 3:15 pm

Oregon and Washington. I agree with Jered that Oregon was tougher. Not that the questions were harder, just that they were essay style and took longer to answer. I used up every minute of the time for Oregon but finished Washington a half hour early.

Posted by MountainHermit on Sep 3, 2010 11:44 am

Two.  Colorado & New Mexico.  The tests were very different, with Colorado being trickier but for me New Mexico was more difficult.  Neither gave me any brain fatigue, though.  I'd like to license in WY, but the application process seems over the top to me.

Posted by Billy Ferguson on Sep 3, 2010 2:59 pm

Just One, SC...it's hard enough finding work here!

Posted by Hank Berg on Sep 3, 2010 5:14 pm

Prior to retiring . . . seven states in 40 years. Missouri, Illinois, Florida, California, Oregon, State of Washington, and Alaska.

The most difficult exam states were California and Florida. But the material was well selected and provided a good cross-section of land surveying practice.

Many survey interns/LSIT have problems in the mechanics of taking exams. Practice - practice - practice!

Posted by ron berry on Sep 3, 2010 7:42 pm

With the two states I mentioned above, I always wanted to be licensed in North Carolina and West Virginia, and Virginia, adjoining states to me now, but the dang paper work is just a pain in the arse, or I'm just getting older and lazy........may still go for NC & Virginia someday soon.....

Posted by Shelby H. Griggs, PLS on Sep 4, 2010 2:36 am

Five: CA, ID, NV, OR, WA

I took CA first, used every minute of time, very comprehensive, but fair I thought. The one I thought was probably the hardest was WA, maybe hardest isn't the right term, but it had some fairly complex questions that probably would of stumped me if I hadn't already had three other states and 10+ years of experience. I didn't think it was designed to test minimal competency, more like questions from the Board complaint file!

Passed each of the five on the fist shot, I did take the AK once and missed it by one question, never felt the need to retake.
SHG

Posted by Stephen Johnson on Sep 4, 2010 8:11 am

5 currently,  Texas, California, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arizona & New Mexico, in that order.  Was 6, Kansas is lapsed.

Hardest was Texas, Easiest was California.  CA took about 2 hours without any studying.  Second hardest was Oklahoma.  Took the full 16 hours in both Texas and Oklahoma.

Kansas, Arizona and New Mexico were easy, contrary to Michael Ray's comment about Kansas.

Took 20 minutes for Kansas (1 hour State Specific), 45 minutes for AZ (2 hr. S. S.) and 35 minutes for NM (2 hr. S. S.)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them."

Posted by ROBERT CRAIG_4 on Jan 14, 2015 10:27 pm

Registered in 9 States. Tn, Ms, Ar, KY, Mo, Il, Nv, Az & Ut.   Tennessee was the hardest test.