I'm done (I think)

I'm done (I think)

Posted by Tommy Young on Dec 27, 2010 4:40 pm

Just found out I passed SC.

Seven is enough.

Re: I'm done (I think)

Posted by marc_anderson on Dec 28, 2010 6:04 pm

I don't know how you keep up with all the continuing education requirements.

Seems like everybody's requiring some jurisdictional hours.

I'm only licensed in two states, plus a CFM certification, but the PDH burdens just for those are enough for me.

Posted by Jered McGrath PLS on Dec 28, 2010 11:11 pm

PDH credits count for each and every state. At least for the states I'm licensed in.  The most I've seen for any state is 30 per biennial renewal. I know some states require that the courses are pre-approved or from a list but seems like most boards are pretty flexible. Just my personal observations, but I only have two states right now.

Posted by Tommy Young on Dec 29, 2010 8:54 am

Well, not all states are like Illinois, where you have a Standards of Practice course where you have to sit down and get it in person.   With the other states, I can take the courses via the internet. 

So far, it isn't too bad.  However, I haven't been licensed in some states long enough to have needed any continuing education.  Ask me again in about 3 years.

Posted by Sicilian Cowboy on Dec 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Congrats.....I stopped at four states.

Let somebody else have some of the work......;)
AJF

Posted by Tommy Young on Dec 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Sicilian Cowboy:
Congrats.....I stopped at four states.

Let somebody else have some of the work......;)

That's part of the problem.  I'm letting lots of people have the work close to home, because we can't beat them on price.  The only way to make any money is to go out of town.

Re: I'm done (I think) Mr. McGrath

Posted by Larry P on Dec 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Jered McGrath PLS:
PDH credits count for each and every state. At least for the states I'm licensed in.  The most I've seen for any state is 30 per biennial renewal. I know some states require that the courses are pre-approved or from a list but seems like most boards are pretty flexible. Just my personal observations, but I only have two states right now.
Mr. McGrath,

For some states what you describe is correct.  For other states, absolutely not.  I know of one state who denied credit for a student.  The course the student took was approved by that state.  The instructor was approved to teach that course in that state.  So why did he not get credit?  The state has not approved where the course was being taught.  They had approved for one town but this student took the same course in a different town so no credit.

I know all that sounds silly as can be.  It is beyond silly.  But that is the way some of the states work.  Right now one state has to approve not only the Instructor and the course; but, also the date, the town and the name of the building in that town.  If your venue has an issue and you have to move to a different facility, guess what, it is time to start over with the approval process.  (Did I mention the approval process in that state can take in excess of 6 months?)

Larry P
NCPLS

Posted by Larry P on Dec 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Tommy Young:
Well, not all states are like Illinois, where you have a Standards of Practice course where you have to sit down and get it in person.   With the other states, I can take the courses via the Internet. 

So far, it isn't too bad.  However, I haven't been licensed in some states long enough to have needed any continuing education.  Ask me again in about 3 years.
Tommy,

Be careful with the Internet courses.  Your very own state of Tennessee only allows credit for 1 PDH for every 4 contact hours.  Spend a whole day (8 hours) doing an on-line seminar and you only get 2 hours credit.

Also, other states are more liberal with what they allow for credits but limit the percentage you can claim via on-line providers.

Do your homework and make certain you don't get caught in a bind with the on-line stuff.

Larry P
NCPLS

PS:  Give Jana a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from me.

Posted by Jered McGrath PLS on Dec 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Larry P:
I know all that sounds silly as can be.  It is beyond silly.  But that is the way some of the states work.  
Thanks Larry,
I knew some states were a bit out there but that sounds a bit unchecked by the local professions if you ask me. Since we are a self policing profession by nature it seems like the locals in those states both PE and PLS need to make some board personnel changes and institute some legislative changes to the state rules and regs if so needed. Just my 0.02c

Posted by Larry P on Dec 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Jered McGrath PLS:
Larry P:
I know all that sounds silly as can be.  It is beyond silly.  But that is the way some of the states work.  
Thanks Larry,
I knew some states were a bit out there but that sounds a bit unchecked by the local professions if you ask me. Since we are a self policing profession by nature it seems like the locals in those states both PE and PLS need to make some board personnel changes and institute some legislative changes to the state rules and regs if so needed. Just my 0.02c
I totally agree with you that that particular state is totally out of control.  The problem of course is that the folks who are processing the paperwork know nothing at all about land surveying.  In fact, the folks we have to deal with in that state handle courses for every regulated occupation.  One minute they may be looking at JB Stahl's course on Resolving Conflicting Elements and the next moment they maybe looking at something involving giving old ladies a pedicure.   (Yes it was that state that told me they could not approve the course on Resolving Conflicting Elements because they didn't have conflict in their state.)

Larry P
NCPLS

Posted by Tommy Young on Dec 31, 2010 9:58 am

Larry, unfortunately, I know way too much about Tennessee's new rule for online and video courses.  I have been part of many back room discussions about it.

Posted by Pin Cushion on Dec 31, 2010 10:10 am

Congrats Tommy.

PDH is a fact of life, but Tennessee won... with their fees (renewal and professional tax) and ridiculous pdh requirements they have achieved there goal. I will not get a TN license

Posted by Tommy Young on Jan 1, 2011 2:50 pm

What professional tax?

For me, the de facto requirement that you attend seminars in person isn't a big deal.  I'd rather go to a seminar and interact with other surveyors than sit in my office watching a video.

Posted by Pin Cushion on Jan 2, 2011 12:10 pm

Is there not a fee, in the $450 -$500 range, that Tennessee levies on all professional licensees? {CPAs, JD, PE, PLS, etc..}  ...in addition to the TN renewal fee being among the highest in the nation,... AND you all have "specialized" Pdh rules?

...come on man you know nothing about the rules being made to keep out the multi-state registrants  AND you are a multi-state registrant  LIVING IN TENNESSEE, don't give me that "backroom talking" and the know nothing?  what is b.s. and what is not?

Congratulations Tommy

Posted by Andy Bruner on Jan 2, 2011 10:59 pm

I let my Tennessee license lapse.  I can't see paying for license fees and ConEd just to have the paper on the wall.  Of course I haven't reduced a traverse, inversed a line or researched a property in 18 months now either.  Oh well,  I'm making more money with NO professional liability right now.  BUT... I'd go back to surveying in a heartbeat given the chance.

Andy

Posted by Tommy Young on Jan 3, 2011 2:16 pm

Pin Cushion:

Is there not a fee, in the $450 -$500 range, that Tennessee levies on all professional licensees? {CPAs, JD, PE, PLS, etc..}  ...in addition to the TN renewal fee being among the highest in the nation,... AND you all have "specialized" Pdh rules?

...come on man you know nothing about the rules being made to keep out the multi-state registrants  AND you are a multi-state registrant  LIVING IN TENNESSEE, don't give me that "backroom talking" and the know nothing?  what is b.s. and what is not?

There is a professional privledge tax on the engineers, and maybe some other professions, but it does NOT apply to the surveyors.

About the new continuing education requirement.  I haven't been in favor of it at all.  In Tennessee, all of the courses have to be pre-approved.  Well, some of these courses were complete nonsense.  People would request 8 hours to study the company manual, 6 hours to watch a short video and take a test, etc.  I understand the reason for the new requirement, but I think it's overkill.  TAPS as an orginization had nothing to do with this requirement.  However, some members of TAPS were on the BOE committee that pushed for the new rule.  I thought, and still think, that there was a conflict of interest problem there.  Right now, I do not have an elected position in TAPS, so my opinion doesn't count for anything.

That being said, Tennessee is still not a very onerous state to maintain a surveyors license in.  The state does not require a C.A. and does not have a required course on the Standards of Practice.

What do you mean about the "know nothing" remarks?

Posted by Layla Dale on Dec 26, 2018 6:38 am

Do you have a problem with your persuasive essay? CheckĀ this blog! It contains all you need to know about this type of essay!