Going to Law School

Going to Law School

Posted by ppm on Oct 15, 2011 1:42 am

Call me crazy but I have had this reaccuring thought lately to return to school and get a law degree. What area of study would best for someone that is already a PLS and wants to just persue a Law Degree that would compliment being a Surveyor?  I see a lot of Land Use types of focus' for Attorneys but I do not feel that is what I want to specialize in.

Re: Going to Law School

Posted by ppm on Oct 17, 2011 10:35 pm

No one knows? Or cares? Or likes people that went to law school?

Posted by Paul in PA on Oct 18, 2011 12:07 am

Depends On Where You Live.

Rutgers University (NJ) has a combined MS/JD program that would compliment a PLS with a Surveying degree. The Master of City and Regional Planning (M.C.R.P.)  Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy  / Juris Doctor (J.D.) (dual degree program with Rutgers’ School of Law–Newark and Rutgers‘ School of Law–Camden). With that progression of three degrees you could teach surveying at the community college or undergraduate level, be a killer Professional Planner in a state that has such a title, be a Municipal Manager, be a land court judge, be a forensic surveyor or write survey law columns for surveying magazine.

Paul in PA

Posted by Sicilian Cowboy on Oct 18, 2011 10:13 am

Several of these are out on the lecture/seminar circuit, including Walt Robillard, Knud Hermanson and Jerry Broadus.

One used to post here, Dwayne Frymire, from upstate NY.

He can be found over at the Surveyorconnect site.

AJF

Posted by Evelyn on Oct 19, 2011 10:05 am

I have a law degree, so I can give you a few pointers.  Most law school students have some kind of political sciense or liberal arts undergraduate degree.  I think the law students that had a science based undergraduate degree did better.  By that I mean, engineering, geology, nursing, etc.  I had a surveying degree from Oregon Institute of Technolgy.  What I had to work hard on was my writing skills.  So, if you don't have an undergraduate degree, I would go for one that you are interested in.  Law school graduates work in all kinds of fields, not just as an attorney.

You can contact me direct if you'd like.  kalb@chesebro-kalb.com.

Evelyn

Posted by MountainHermit on Oct 19, 2011 11:46 pm

Strange to see this.  I've been thinking about it too.  Went to the library and checked out an LSAT prep book even.  But, I can't begin to afford law school.  Checked into it years ago too when I was living near Wash. U in St. Louis.  No wonder lawyers are so expensive!

Anyway, I wouldn't want to practice law.  Like you have said, it would be to enhance my surveying knowledge/expertise/horizons.  I checked into a part time on line program with Kaplan U.  It is not accredited by the ABA, but offers both a JD that will qualify you for the California bar and something called an EJD that is an abbreviated program with the option of specializing in one of three offered fields (sadly, land use is not one of them).  The on line school is Concord Law and is part of Kaplan U.

Best of luck!

Posted by GailG on Feb 21, 2013 6:24 am

Usually Law Schools would require someone who have a degree in Political Science. But if you came from a different course, these schools does offer like a "pre-requisite" classes that would serves as a preparatory for Law.

I am a Computer Science students that was my experience upon taking Law though I wasn't able to finish the degree.

-

Posted by Stuart on Mar 10, 2013 4:55 pm

I graduated from UCLA with a BA in bacteriology and worked in that area for two years.  Then went to Hastings Law School-had no problem-and having a different background meant I could "think outside the box" 

andLaw School is a great background to have-do not worry about specializing-that will come as you work.

Posted by Mr. Land Surveys on Apr 4, 2013 12:53 am

Real Estate law would compliment a PLS.

Posted by Bill Baker on Apr 12, 2014 7:33 am

How do you propose reconciling the fact that at tourneys are client advocates, as opposed to surveyors  as public advocates? Surveyors I know that have gone the route you are pursuing have recognized the conflict of interest and given up one or the other.