Recomendations for GPS education?

Recomendations for GPS education?

Posted by Joanne Williamson on Apr 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Though I use GPS daily I have a ton of questions about practical use of GPS for survey, from theory, to practical use, to problem solving on a day-to-day basis.  Would someone who has mastered the art recommend any online course, program or books to make me more knowledgeable and functional?

Thanks.

Re: Recomendations for GPS education?

Posted by MLB on May 1, 2014 12:42 am

Only fools and prevaricators have "mastered" GPS. The rest of us struggle as best we can. Anything but very basic textbooks tend to get out of date rather quickly. There are a number of Certificate Programs in colleges scattered across the country. The last one I completed was in 2005 and although I bump into the intructors from time to time at various Conferences, I haven't really monitored the content recently.

Trimble keeps its documentation current. This little on-line tutorial is pretty good. It covers most of the basics. Beyond that, the best GPS training is of the hands on variety. Click on the "Support and Training" menu after you finish the tutorial.

https://www.trimble.com/gps_tutorial/whygps.aspx

Good luck,
MLB

Re: In Person GPS Education?

Posted by Paul in PA on May 1, 2014 7:50 pm

GPSay be more manufacturer specific than Total Station Surveying. An in person course genrally is tailored to the equipment available to all the students.

To mak a GPS course online it must be so generic it covers all brands of receivers and all brands of processing software.

Take the time and get to a college course or to one of the manufacturers/retailers courses.

Paul in PA