PS exam Prep/ Seminars

PS exam Prep/ Seminars

Posted by joshua soileau on Jan 20, 2016 8:40 am

I am preparing for the PS exam in April 2016. I purchased the PPI test prep materials and the NCEES PS Practice Exam. I am looking for any input which could help me with the exam. I have several textbooks recommended by Louisiana Board. 

Has anyone attended the LSS seminars & publishing company (NCEES PS ("PROFESSIONAL") EXAM PREP SEMINAR)? just wondering if it worth the money. 

Any information would be helpful. thanks in advance

Re: PS exam Prep/ Seminars

Posted by Patrick Staiano on Jan 27, 2016 2:25 pm

I took and passed the PS exam in October 2014. I didn't take any seminars so I can't help you there, but my list of study materials was:
-Brown's Boundary Control & Legal Principles- I'd really focus on this
-PPI Surveyor Reference Manual
-PPI Surveying Solved Problems for the FS & PS Exams
-Basic GIS Coordinates by Jan Van Sickle
-Writing Legal Descriptions by Wattles
-GPS for Land Surveyors by Jan Van Sickle
-NCEES PS Sample Exam Questions
-2009 BLM Manual of Surveying Instruction
-Compendium of Louisiana & Federal Laws on Surveying- from your post I'm assuming you're taking the exam in LA, don't forget to bring this for the State Specific portion
I remember my exam being more theory based questions, adverse possession, servitudes, etc., than actual calculations, but I did use my HP35S with surveying programs on a few questions and I'd definitely recommend working as many problems as possible to prepare. What worked for me was studying/working problems for a hour a night every night for several months leading up to exam. Everyone has a different method, but as long as you're prepared you will do fine. Good luck.

Re: PS exam Prep/ Seminars

Posted by WILLIAM EDWARDS on Nov 28, 2017 8:58 pm

I’m going to be taking the PS exam in 2018. I have a lot of the books Patrick mentioned, except mine are an edition or two behind the latest edition available today. Is there a huge difference between browns boundary control 4th edition and the current 6th edition? I also have the Surveyor Reference Book, 4th edition. There is a 6th edition out now. Really want to make sure I spend my time and money on the right books.

how did you make out Joshua? Did the PPI test prep package help?