Obtain Surveying Degree to Become Licensed

Obtain Surveying Degree to Become Licensed

Posted by Crystal Thomas on Jun 29, 2016 2:16 pm

I am a licensed Professional Civil Engineer in NJ and would like to become a PLS.  I have the experience and the practical knowledge.  What I need is a "four-year degree from a board-approved curriculum" in order to recognized by my state as a Surveyor-In-Training, even if I do pass the FS.

There is only one college in NJ offering such a degree and it is still quite a distance from my home and office.  So I have been checking for online programs.  Does anyone have any knowledge of such a program that will satisfy the requirements of the licensing board?

Re: Obtain Surveying Degree to Become Licensed

Posted by Anthony Pesce on Oct 9, 2016 2:25 pm

Any luck getting answers to your question?  I'm in NY looking to get licensed. 

Posted by DANIEL SPAULDING_7 on Oct 13, 2016 2:39 pm

There is only a few that offer a 4 year degree. I know Texas A&M Corpus Christi offers a geomatics program that is completly online.

Also check out oklahoma state. I know they have an online program but I can't remember if it is a 2 or 4 year program.

Posted by Gerald Middleton on Jan 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Check your state board requirements, you're a PE now and I would assume have already earned a 4 year degree, and as such should have to obtain 'x' hours of survey related courses acceptable to your state board in order to sit for the Fundamentals exam. I've attached a list of courses offered at a bunch of schools nationwide, some online, some not...I've been told that most of the courses at Wyoming are offered online...
Attached Files

Posted by Crystal Thomas on Jan 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Gerald, thank you for your thoughtful response. That makes sense! I have already earned 9 credits in surveying coursework, am currently earning 9 more, and your suggestions will undoubtedly qualify me for a NJ PLS exam sooner than later.

Posted by craig bailey on Mar 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Just a thought,

since you have a 4 year degree from an accredited college, why not look at the University of Maine's fully online Masters degree program?   It could be completed in 3 years,  and likely would be more relevant to you as a working professional than taking Bachelors courses again.

Of course, the PLS Board would need to be consulted prior to you undertaking the effort, but with your prior experience, and additional survey coursework all reday completed, the Board should be able to grant a waiver to the Administrative Rule.  Of course that assumes NJ hasn't made it STATUTORY LAW to require a 4-year degree.

Heres the link to the UMaine PSM (Professional Science Masters) program, scroll to the bottom for the survey concentration.  https://engineering.umaine.edu/psm/#svt

_________ Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS Hudson, NH