CST Program

CST Program

Posted by dogredlin on Feb 23, 2017 11:55 am

Good morning all,

Looking for recent experiences or information on the CST Program. Many years ago I looked into it & was very interested, but then fell of my radar. I think recently there were some changes that make it more accessible & user friendly. I'm interested to hear more about the nuts & bolts of the program, to use for training for some of our less experienced staff, office & field. Any information or forum links you might have would be greatly appreciated. We have & know of the CST & LearnCST websites, as well as the NSPS. Just looking for maybe a little more indepth info on the actual training (web driven?).

Doug Redlin - SoCal

Re: CST Program

Posted by dogredlin on Feb 23, 2017 11:56 am

Email address available upon request.

dr

Posted by WAYNE FINCKE on Mar 1, 2017 11:56 am

Posted by Kevin Gregory on Mar 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Doug,

If you go here, you should be able to find your state coordinator and they should be able to fill you in. The CST Board Member can also be found on this same link, but I'd start with your state coordinator.
http://www.nsps.us.com/page/cst_coord

I used to be a state coordinator a few years ago. About the time I passed the torch on, they were transitioning to computer based testing for the CST exams. This made it much easier, as those taking the test would get an instant score when they completed the test. Sometimes the score could change depending on if there were any challenge questions.

Hope that helps,
-KG

Posted by SpatialHawk on Apr 19, 2018 12:07 pm

I have recently passed the CST Level 3 Chief Computer Operator exam. While it was challenging, the resources available at www.learncst.com will guide an examinee through an extensive study plan. It covers the subject matter in an overview format and requires the examinee to have additional resources such as text books to dive deeper into subject matter in areas they feel weak in. I recommend anyone planning on taking the CST exams at any level to start with the Level 1 course on learncst, and move through the other two courses in order. This helps to ensure a broad base of knowledge and is how I prepared for the exam that I passed. I also highly recommend that the examinees attempt the test using the online format available as it gives immediate pass/fail. Remember, have a good surveying textbook, and you will find Definitions of Surveying and Associated Terms to be an invaluable resource.