Ohio Surveyor Killed

Ohio Surveyor Killed

Posted by Bobsurveyor on Jul 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Last night around midnight, surveyor Randy Roginski, 41 of North Royalton working for Solor Testing was struck in a construction zone along I-271 in Richfield, Ohio, and was killed. News said all of the safety requirements were in place and the driver was not charged. Can't be too careful out there, especially at night! My sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

Bob

Re: Ohio Surveyor Killed

Posted by Pin Cushion on Jul 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Godspeed Randy

Posted by ron berry on Jul 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Sorry to hear a fellow surveyor killed, why weren't there any charges against the driver? All the safety requirements are in place, someone has to be at fault, right? Just curious.....

Posted by ACD Surveyor on Jul 28, 2010 4:55 pm

My prayers for the family of the surveyor killed.  To answer Ron, there is no law for being stupid.  The police will do a report and leave it to the DA or a civil suit.  I've seen many cases of people just driving through traffic control.  They probably should not be behind a wheel.

Posted by Sicilian Cowboy on Jul 28, 2010 5:59 pm

As is often the case, we don't know ALL the facts.
Here's a link to the news report:

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/traffic/Road-worker-hit-and-killed-on-I-271

"The victim was believed to be working on the shoulder of the highway, and the construction was taking place in the left lane. The cars were traveling in the right lane, in between the construction and the shoulder.......He appeared to be well off the roadway at the time, or at least the driving portion of the construction zone."

If this report is accurate, then the man was working on the RIGHT side of the highway, OUTSIDE the construction zone, which apparently was in the LEFT lane.

Consequently, this puts him near the right shoulder where cars were being routed. So it is questionable whether proper safety procedures were being followed. There may not have even been anything between him and traffic except the shoulder itself.

Either way, sad to see.
AJF

Posted by wayne griffin on Jul 28, 2010 6:32 pm

Agreed Cowboy, that there has to be more.  Still depressing to hear about any injuries/fatalities for road workers.  I feel for his family.

But I could not imagine jumping outside the barriers on an interstate, at night, without something.  Maybe he slipped on a rock??

This is a recent article in the local paper.  I know Jason (Asst County Surveyor) quite well.  He came up with this idea mostly for hills & dips on rural roads, and the "extra" county guy just tags along behind the crew.  Maybe not the most employee efficient way, but certainly visible.  This may have helped the Ohio guy.  Ironically, Jason is from Medina, Ohio.

http://kingmandailyminer.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubsectionID=797&ArticleID=39124

Posted by MLB on Jul 28, 2010 7:02 pm

The Ohio DOT is very good at setting up your safety procedures if you need to work in their roadways. I am actually pretty familiar with the area. If you check a map you will see it adjoins Cuyahoga NRA. On a large aerial project back in 1980 we had to use bridges on the Interstate for control points with favorable lines of sight. Thank ya Jesus for GPS. You don't have to do that anymore. (And yes, I have recently revisited the site.)

But I digress. Each occupation was set up and controlled by ODOT. They set up the safety equipment and instructed us in our procedures using their facilities. Of course, we didn't do it at night. It was risky enough in the daytime. Those roads have a very high volume of traffic. You need good conditions with good lighting and most of all dry pavement. The weather isn't mentioned in this article.
MLB

Posted by RADU on Jul 28, 2010 8:20 pm

With our work place a constantly changing work place it is possible sometimes to forget where we are , so that on a dangerous site one false move by surveyor or vehicle when engrossed in our surveying can result in a tragedy.

I think many of us boundary surveying have experienced a  honking horn !

RADU
RADU VALUE ADDING SURVEYOR