Skin cancer

Skin cancer

Posted by Jim Petty on Aug 4, 2010 12:26 pm

I seem to recall several discussions in the past regarding various types and treatment for skin cancer, mine has turned out to be a basal cell carcinoma.  Dermatologist will use a procedure called Mohs Micrographic Surgery.  Pretty big words for a hillbilly boy, huh.  It involves removing thin layers, testing for cancer cells, and repeating the process until all signs of cancer are gone.

Anybody else care to share their experience?

Re: Skin cancer

Posted by Sicilian Cowboy on Aug 4, 2010 2:44 pm

My mother-in-law had that treatment on the tip of her nose last year.

Unfortunately, they had to keep digging and digging, about 4 visits worth.

She wound up needing plastic surgery (because the scar was in such a prominent spot) which ALSO took several visits.

She wound up with a bandage/bandaid on her nose for about six months.
But, she's in the clear now, and you can't tell there was anything there now.

Good luck.

Angelo
AJF

Posted by Jimmy W. on Aug 4, 2010 5:19 pm

Jim,

I had the same diagnosis and treatment in January of last year. Had a ¼ inch cist on my left temple and left forearm. The surgery took about two hours for both and the final incisions were football shaped cuts ¾ inch wide and 1-1/2 inch long. The over cut was so the doctor could sew up the incision with only a thin scar remaining. The one one the temple is hard to see but the one on the forearm is more pronounced.

I have them checked, along with a full body scan, every six months. So far everything is OK. The doctor said he could have performed laser surgery if they were diagnosed sooner.

I've used a heavy dose of sun screen for years, but the damage was done earlier in life.

I feel fortunate that it was only basal cell.

Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy W. on Aug 5, 2010 8:17 pm

Bump to the top

Posted by Ryan McGowan on Aug 10, 2010 3:32 pm

I had trichoepithelioma on my nose.  This is exactly what it looked like.  It was first assumed to be basil cell, then the biopsy came back as trichoepithelioma which is also a slow growing cancer.  The dermatologist removed a circular-shaped piece of skin down to the cartlidge in my nose, had a biopsy done to make sure they got it all, then came back, took some more, another biopsy, etc, etc...  It took three times before they got it all.  By the time they did, I had a dime-sized third nostril.

Because the skin on the nose is tight, they just left it open without stitches.  Eventually it grew over with scar tissue.  It was uncomfortable to get the shot each time into an open wound, and then have to sit and wait for 45 minutes for a biopsy hoping that was it.  But it's better than having the growth on my nose turn into a third nose or something.

Posted by Keith on Aug 11, 2010 1:14 pm

A year ago, the dermatologist was looking me over and said he did not like this one spot on my chest.  They cut some, did a biopsy and found that it was  Malignant melanoma and the next day they cut it out.  They said they got it all and now I go back every 6 months for a checkup and nothing more.

At my last visit, the dermatologist recommended that I have "Photodynamic Therapy with Levulan and Intense Pulse Light Activation" in a couple of weeks.  Advised that is is a little painful!! and my face will look like a bad sunburn for a week or so.

It is advised to not go out in the sun, so looks like I will be house bound for a while.  

The object is to pull out all the pre-cancerous zones and improves rosacea (which I have).

Gonna give it a try.

Keith

Posted by Andy J on Aug 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Good luck, Jim, and everyone that is affected by this.  I lost a fellow surveyor a few years ago to a skin cancer on his skull that went into the bone and spread.  Very serious stuff, especially for us nuts out in the sun all the time..  
ANdy

Posted by Caj on Jun 14, 2011 10:09 am

I am a nurse by education but has shifted career to work for a land surveying company. 

Anyway, early warning signs for skin can cer includes a change in the skin's appearance and a sore that does not heal. People like land surveyors who are out in the field and usually exposed under the harmful rays of the sun are at risk of getting skin cancer. Thus, it is very important to make sure that you are well protected each time you go out on a survey - proper clothing, sunscreen lotions with high SPF, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------

Online Marketing Consultant specializing in helping Land Surveying businesses , land surveyor, and total station local dealers get found on Google.