A tick in October

A tick in October

Posted by Cee Gee on Oct 15, 2010 11:31 am

Pulled a tick out of my shoulder this morning, likely a deer tick too -- dug in but not engorged -- doc says to keep an eye on it but not to worry yet. I was aggressively vigilant till a couple months ago when I stopped finding them and began to slack off. Advise all, especially here in the northeast, to remember that the threat continues. Lyme disease is serious business.

Re: A tick in October

Posted by Reggie Jaquish on Oct 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Be careful of the Lyme's Disease. As with surveyors, half of all doctors are in the bottom 50%. I know a construction foreman who is now retired due to it, but went through two years of treatment for Lyme's. My wife had it, too.

I have been wondering about the following:
I heard several years ago that taking B vitamins has a repelling effect on mosquitos. I wonder if it works for ticks as well. I havenot had a tick attaced since I started taking just a house brand Vit. B Complex once a day. I have been bitten by mosquitos, and have had ticks on and in my clothes, but not attached.

Re: A tick in October

Posted by Peter Lothian, PLS-MA, ME on Oct 17, 2010 9:50 am

I had one crawling on me once in February.  Snow was on the ground, but it was a sunny, warm day (around 45 F).  You can never let your guard down against ticks.  They'll grab a passing meal as soon as they thaw out, then use the body heat of their mammalian host to further warm up, kick-start their metabolism, and quickly seek out a sheltered area to dig in and feast.