More reasons to check for ticks

More reasons to check for ticks

Posted by Kristi Grahl on Mar 14, 2011 6:21 am

I love being outdoors and can't wait until spring, but this article on MSNBC was enough to give me pause. Everyone knows about Lyme disease, but what about anaplasmosis and babesiosis? I'm so glad to know lower Michigan is a hotbed for these tick-borne illnesses. Sheesh. Be careful out there, and be sure to check for ticks every time you return from the field!

Kristi Grahl
POB Editor/RPLS.com Community Manager

Re: More reasons to check for ticks

Posted by Cee Gee on Mar 14, 2011 10:40 am

Very good article but be careful with the statement "Dr. Wormser said, 'You can go back there when there is snow on the ground.'" True enough in Westchester County, perhaps, but I've found ticks on myself around here (Maine) when the ground was covered by over a foot of snow. It's the season, not the snow, and it's already underway.

Posted by Caj on Mar 17, 2011 6:39 pm

That's a really great article which every land surveyor should be aware. Being on the field surveying could expose a surveyor to many hazards, and one of this is babesiosis.

As a nurse, here are some useful tips which surveyors should take note while they are out in the field.
1. Stay away from areas where ticks are common, especially furing the months of May through September
2. If you have immunity organs (like thyroid gland, tonsils, spleen, etc.) already removed or you are currently infected with a disease where your immunity goes down like AIDS or other HIV infections, it is best to stay away from the field. If this is inevitable, try using one of those high tech robotic total stations where it allows you to spend less time on the field.
3. Use insect repellants, specifically tick repellants when you are out on the field surveying. Use a product that says 20% to 30% DEET (dimethyltoluamide).
4. As much as possible, use clothes that covers a large percentage of your body especially the leg area because this is the most accessible area for the ticks. 
5. Check your clothes and equipment for any ticks that you might have carried from the field. Save them so you can show it to a doctor in case symptoms started to appear.
6. If you find a tick, use fine tweezers and pull the tick away by grabbing it from its head. 
7. If symptoms start to appear, contact your doctor immediately since babesiosis can be really fatal.
----------------------------------------------------------

Online Marketing Consultant specializing in helping Land Surveying businesses , land surveyor, and total station local dealers get found on Google.

Posted by Andrew Gaiennie on Mar 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Only fix for ticks is to follow good advice and take your shirt off to check for the nasty things. OFF works well, so does putting flea collars around the ankles. 

Posted by jkeithmaxwell on Mar 18, 2011 7:05 am

Caj, thanks for the great information and safety checklist that all of us can share with our field crews. You should have told them you were a Nurse by education. I had to look up babesiosis on Wikipedia to know what it is since I had never heard of it. We generally associate only Lyme disease with ticks but thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately, surveyors being in the field is inevitable. So, we just have to be vigilant about this.

Not to pick on you for your English (which is excellent by the way) but is there something else besides "really fatal"? Slightly fatal I could stand - but really fatal sounds so final. (Joking with you.)   :-)

Thanks again.
------------------------------------------------------------
My Blog | Pro17 Engineering - Land Surveyors and Civil Engineers

Posted by ron berry on Sep 2, 2011 6:58 pm

I've been lucky this year, only have seen two ticks on my clothes so far, although I haven't had a lot of jobs in the deep woods, these were found on small acreage jobs......I better knock on wood, I have a boundary that abuts the Daniel Boone National Forest coming up....deep woods and thickets....

Posted by sideshot61 on Jun 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Treat all field clothing with permithrin (permanone) DO NOT PUT THIS ON YOUR SKIN,and follow the directions. It is not a repellant but is an adhesive based insecticide and when properly applied lasts thru 8-10 wash cycles (if you find a tick on you, it will usually be dead). Treat exposed skin and cuffs/collars/hems with DEET. This method works well for ticks and mosquitoes;  but good luck with trying to repel chiggers and deer flies; I've found nothing that really works.