Melanoma

Re: Melanoma

Posted by Andy Bruner on Jul 8, 2010 9:22 am

With my new job spending 12 to 14 hours a day on the beach I wear, and URGE, all the workers to wear minimum SPF 50 sunscreen.  Some of the African American workers insist they don't need it but that's just not true.  They can get skin cancer also.

The GOOD thing about spending so much time on the beach is the scenery though.  I may be old BUT I can still appreciate an attractive young lady (especially when she is wearing next to nothing).

ANdy

Posted by Be A. Barracus on Jul 8, 2010 9:47 am

A Dermatologist should be on your payroll and/or appear as a consultant on your balance sheet. 
I see mine at least twice a year. In fact, I have an appointment next week and expect the regular cutting and freezing.

Cover up and apply sunscreen liberally.

T

Posted by Keith on Jul 8, 2010 2:30 pm

I have had one Melanoma cut out and now with dermatologist's regular visits; he says no cuts is a good day!

Posted by Steven Gardner on Jul 10, 2010 8:46 am

I was diagnosed with Melanoma on Sept 11 2009 and it had spread to the lymph nodes from a mole on my right ear. I had surgery and a complete lymph excision on the right side of my head, neck & shoulder on Nov 3. Six hour surgery and four days in the hospital. Radiation therapy followed and I am now taking a pill form of chemo five days per month for the next two years. For someone who had never been in the hospital or rarely gets sick this was a real eye opener. I am doing well now and back to working some but this is not something you want. I've worked outside all my life and usually had a ball cap on. My surgeon says they are seeing a large increase in Melanoma's. According to him if you've had a blistering sunburn at some point, your risk for Melanoma will skyrocket.

Get a big brimmed hat and slop on the sunscreen !!!     SP30 is pretty well proven .. above that the jury's still out.

By some stroke of irony the day I got my diagnosis I was going through my stack of survey magazines and found the POB with Kristy's article about Don. I wish I had seen it twenty years ago !  My wife and I thought the mole on my ear was a birthmark.. been there as long as I can remember and I was doing regular skin screenings but in a matter of weeks from making an appointment  it jumped to a lymph node in my neck.

Thanks for the article Kristy. This topic needs to be kept front & center with the surveying community.

Steven

Posted by ron berry on Jul 10, 2010 8:52 pm

I second that, a good article, skin cancer is not something to mess around with....stay protected...