RPLS_Forums

Survey License Reciprocity between different States

Survey License Reciprocity between different States

Posted by closeenough on Jul 21, 2010 5:04 pm

I am looking for information about License Reciprocity between states, specifically in the South and East, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, New Mexico. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Survey License Reciprocity between different States

Posted by Sicilian Cowboy on Jul 21, 2010 5:37 pm

You need to check out each state's laws and regs, from the site of whichever agency does the licensing.
Things change quickly sometimes, so be sure to get the info direct from the source.

AJF

Posted by Pin Cushion on Jul 21, 2010 9:07 pm

There is NO reciprocity in any state that I know of... all states have state required exams.

SC, AL, and FL require a four year degree, SC requires it regardless of when your original license was issued.
GA has a 4 hour hydrology exam and a 4 hour state specific exam and requires several hydro classes.

Posted by Richard Hardison on Jul 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Reciprocity is not a good word to use in this case. No state has that with Engienering. The word is Comity. I have been licensed by Comity in Engineering in NC, and by comity exam in Surveying by Ohio and NC. In Engineering, if I move to California I will have to take a Surveying and Seismic design exam, and a state exam for surveying. A state can recognize your basic testing in another state, or it can refuse. Constitutionally, there is a problem with refusal to recognize the official acts of another state (if you are married, or licensed to drive in another state those things are recognized under that same clause in the constitution. To do anything else causes chaos and places limits on the Federal Sytem that was not contemplated byt he framers).

Having said that, most professional licensure is meant to limit competition, from outside rather than ensure competence. If competence were the objective, then the regime would be far different than it is now, and college profs would be jeered as the charlatans they often are.

Posted by jd1488 on Jul 23, 2010 11:32 pm

Texas will require a 4 year degree and exam - go figure
Am a PLS in Va and MD and there is a move there to require a degree also

Posted by james moore on Jul 24, 2010 5:26 pm

NM will require a 4 year degree if you were not licensed in another state before their law went into effect. I believe that was 2002 but I might be wrong.

I guess I'm of the same opinion that Richard is concerning competency. I'm pretty sure I could pass the NM exam but because I don't have a 4 yr. degree I will never know. I think the 4 year degree requirement will be in all states soon. The only problem with that is there are very few schools that offer the degree. When you pair that with low wages being paid in the industry the future is not bright. 

Sort: