Visit to DC

Visit to DC

Posted by Sicilian Cowboy on Nov 15, 2013 4:25 pm

While in Washington DC last week, we were lucky enough to be able  to visit the Library of Congress, and to actually tour the Reading Room (which is only open for tourson days when the Library itself is closed).The original Library was housed in a room in The Capitol, it is now spread out among three major buildings on Capitol Hill and several others scattered around the DC area.

In 1814, the British troops, in retaliation for a burning in Toronto by American forces, put the torch to a number of buildings in Washington DC, including the Capitol and the White House. Thomas Jefferson offered his book collection (he had spent 50 years accumulating over 6000 books, and it was intended to be part of the University he was planning), as a replacement.

In 1851, another fire destroyed 65% of the entire Library collection, including a similar proportion of Jefferson’s original donation. What remained is seen here. Part of the collection is Jefferson’s original possessions, part of it is period editions purchased to replace those lost in the fire, and part of it (the white jackets that can be seen) are volumes that are missing, but hoped to be replaced through purchases and donations.

The building was built around the turn of the century, and anyone spending time in DC should make room in their schedule for a visit.

AJF

Re: Visit to DC

Posted by Keith on Nov 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Great pictures;

I did some research in the Library of Congress and I would sit at a desk, after looking up a research book that I wanted to look at, and they would go get it and bring it out to me.

One advantage of working in D.C.!!

Keith

Posted by Keith on Nov 16, 2013 8:35 pm

The issue that I was researching at the time was the navagability of Devil's Lake in North Dakota and I then wrote a report on my findings as a BLM decision document.

Keith

Posted by Keith on Nov 16, 2013 8:37 pm

If you are sightseeing in D.C., the Library of Congress is a wonderful place to visit and see the splendor of it.

Posted by MLB on Nov 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Great pix!!
It used to be pretty easy to get access. But then that old sequester reared its ugly head.
MLB

Posted by Keith on Nov 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Maybe if there was a budget one of these years, it would help the agencies to budget money?