Travelling Surveyor?

Travelling Surveyor?

Posted by TROY SILVA on Jan 8, 2017 5:46 pm

I've been surveying for 6 years or so and had some experinece prior. I am the field crew lead for a fairly small company on an island, we deal mostly with residential developement, staking property lines/setbacks/buldings, topo work, resource management, erosion monitioring, just to name a few, fairly small scale  In all honesty the job fell into my lap but it suprisingly fits my character quite well.
Lately I've been imagining a career in surveying that allows me to integrate my passion for travel and adventure with this skill that I've developed. I've done a decent amount of itnernational travel and wish to do more. My question is... If anyone sees this....

Are there opportunites to travel as a land surveyor? I realize there are of course postions overseas but what I am looking for are short term projects in different places. Ultimately I want to work toward being able to take jobs that last any where from 3 weeks to 3 months but would also allow me to take these jobs at will and allow me to spend a decent amount of time stationaary where I live. Im also wondering what the most efficient path to this goal would be. Are there any specific certifications that would help me in achieving this goal? In the interest of your time I'll end this inquiry here but basically what im looking for is advice on where to look and how to find jobs oversees, is it possible to travel and work as a land surveyor? I want to find creative new paths and opportunites where I can use this skill to work and travel and Im willing to do whatever it takes to make this happen.

Many Thanks

Re: Travelling Surveyor?

Posted by Alex Arguelles on Jan 13, 2017 9:37 am

Mr. Silva,

I don't know if what I'll share here is what you are looking for, but here are a few thoughts:

As far as developing yourself, I would definitely get some schooling along with the experience you've gained out in the field.   This will broaden your horizons and make you that much more valuable.  In other words, this will give you more opportunities to meet your end goal - to travel as you survey.

You mentioned you want to travel overseas.  I used to work for a company that had me travel all over the state I live in (Georgia) doing water and sewer related surveys.  This was with a small established company.  I'm pretty sure that there are such companies, but larger and international, that could meet your desire to travel while using your surveying knowledge.  I encourage you to do some research on such companies.  Many will be more related to utilities (power, light, oil, etc.), but will need surveyors.

Last but definitely not least, I encourage you to put on your charitable hat.  There are organizations that you could travel with that would appreciate you knowledge and abilities.  I'm thinking of organizations such as Engineers Without Borders and Engineering Ministries International (eMi).  I have traveled with eMi a few times and these have been some of the most rewarding experiences in my life.  At one time I almost joined eMi as part of their staff - something for you to also consider.  They have people who are professionals (engineers, architects, designers, surveyors) that lead teams to do charitable work all over the world.  Initially you could join one of their trips as the team surveyor for you to get a taste of the organization and the work they do. Check them out at:  http://www.emiworld.org/

I wish you the best in your search.  Never stop growing/learning.  I'm glad you've found a love in surveying.  It IS a great job with great importance.

A fellow surveyor,
Alex A.