Memory Lane for the Sicilian Cowboy

Memory Lane for the Sicilian Cowboy

Posted by MLB on Mar 5, 2011 7:30 pm

Angelo, I thought you might appreciate this.
Every Saturday, at least most of them, I play Senior Softball with a bunch of cronies (my age group). Today was kind of interesting. Next to the softball field where we "old timers" perform on weekends lies David Wells Field, a low level minor league baseball field. Today was our playoff day. But that wasn't the reason for the crowds. The baseball season opened for that league. On hand to throw out the opening pitch was former Major League great, San Diegan Don Larsen.

Even more strange was the fact that our game and the baseball game started concurrently. Interestingly, they provided a band to play the National Anthem. The first time I wore a uniform and played ball was in 1953. Today was the first time I ever stood in the outfield cap across chest listening to the our anthem. Mr. Larsen threw out the ceremonial first pitch. I couldn't see it because the baseball field is about ten feet lower than the softball field. 

But later I did get the opportunity to tell Mr. Larsen I watched the first three innings of his perfect game on black and white TV on my lunch hour. Later in the day, our excited parish priest interrupted our social studies  class to announce that historical feat. That was October 8, 1956. I still remember it.

Sorry there are no pix. I was too busy going four for six with five RBI's to attend to the photo-journalism responsibilities.

"Baseball is a game that allows men to grow old without growing up" ... Casey Stengel.
An actual link (cite) for the Island of Falkland)

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/mar/04/point-lomas-larsen-was-and-still-baseballs-perfect/
MLB

Re: Memory Lane for the Sicilian Cowboy

Posted by Radar on Mar 7, 2011 1:03 pm

Is it true, at those old timer games, that the overwhelming odor of ben gay makes your eyes water?

;)

Radar

Posted by Sicilian Cowboy on Mar 7, 2011 1:40 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Our house was a Dodger house.... have no memory of that game...I'm guessing the family didn't talk about it much.....:-(

Too bad about the pics....I was hoping to wipe the machete/shorts pic out of my mind.

Oh well.........whats your uniform number (he asked hesitantly.....)
AJF

Posted by MLB on Mar 9, 2011 11:44 am

Ang- not that I'm superstitious or anything, but I am Number 13. I tweaked a knee in the second game of the championship double header. We did win the pin. I'm still in Vegas, last day of CLSA/NALS. Headed for Lake Mead to work on a project, revisit actually a different Memory Lane of sorts. Seems like everything is Memory Lane these days. But considering the alternatives, who's complaining?
MLB

Posted by Sicilian Cowboy on Mar 10, 2011 10:55 am

It's always the knees.......:-(

Agree with your sentiments, having just turned the big 60.

Missing you by a week, as we are attending my mother's 85th birthday dinner next Friday........as a surprise.
She's going out to dinner at her favorite restaurant and we will be sitting there when she arrives.

(Is surprising an 85 year old such a great idea?)

AJF