American Paulin Surveying Altimeter

American Paulin Surveying Altimeter

Posted by John Van Allen on Sep 5, 2018 8:01 pm

Hello: I have a fairly large collection of antique surveying equipment including Wild Theodolites, Leica levels, Kueffel and Esser transits, compasses etc etc. I purchased an American Paulin Micro Surveying Altimeter 0 to 10,000 foot M2 model and my brother picked it up for me today in Canada. It did not come with a manual but I think I have an understanding of how it works. I am not a surveyor by prefession but have done surveying and Altimeter studies in the past so have some knowledge re these devices. My brother lives in White Rock, BC, Canada quite close to the ocean. I live in the Dominican Republic, a long way away. When he arrived at his home today I asked him how the Altimeter looked. It was sold to me on eBay and classified as being in excellent condition however the seller does not appear to be knowledgable in its use. I asked my brother to look at the small window with the plus and minus signs and he said it was over at the minus side. I then asked him to rotate the large chrome dial in the center in a counterclockwise direction until the pointer in the plus/minus window reached the center point. I had hoped he would get a point which revealed his elevation above sea level approximately (depending on where it was last calibrated of course).  He told me he did this and as he rotated the dial the needle in the plus/minus window began moving, correctly,  towards the center position however before reaching the central position he felt that he had reached a stop. He was reluctant to force anything which I agreed with. He said the smaller dial in the main dial pulls up. I suggested that he pull it up and advance the needle clockwise a bit and then continue turning the larger dial counterclockwise but he felt concern about damaging the instrument which physically appeared to be perfect. I have never used this particular model so I thought I would ask a professional. Can you offer some advice. Did I buy a dud?
Best Regards
John Van Allen